Diabetic foot care
What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a chronic, often debilitating and sometimes fatal disease, in which the body cannot produce insulin, or cannot properly use the insulin it produces necessary for controlling the amount of sugar in the blood. Diabetes leads to high blood sugar levels that can damage the bodies tissues, organs, blood vessels, nerves and immune system.
Diabetes and your feet
Diabetes-related health problems include issues with the lower extremities (legs, ankles, feet, toes) such as:
- Tingling, numbness or burning sensation (diabetic peripheral neuropathy)
- Reduced ability to feel pain or temperature changes
- Cuts, scrapes, blisters or bruises that are slow to heal
- Frequent or recurring infections
- Muscle weakness
- Difficulty walking or balancing
- Impairment of sweat secretion & oil production
- Skin breakdown
- Sore development
These issues can lead to more serious problems like peripheral vascular disease, gangrene, ischemia (artery blockage) or amputation of the toes, foot or leg.
Why diabetic foot care?
When a diabetic experiences decreased sensation in the feet, they are at very high risk of developing the above listed health issues. It is very important to prevent foot problems before they occur, by:
- Checking your feet daily with a mirror for irritations and lesions
- Visiting with your chiropodist/foot care specialist- singular for feet & ankle checkups
- Ensuring that you are wearing proper fitting shoes
- Ensuring that you are custom fitted for orthotics or orthopedic shoes if necessary
- Treating poor blood circulation
- Ensuring that no extraneous trauma occurs to the feet or legs
- Eating a healthy diet & abstaining from smoking or consuming alcohol
Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre also offers custom diabetic orthotics; we use state-of-the-art gait scan technology to assess and analyze your diabetic feet. The results of the analysis, combined with the knowledge and expertise of our chiropodist/foot care specialist permits us to successfully detect abnormal foot function which may be affecting your feet and other areas of your body.
Gait scan technology records your timing sequences as you walk or run, enabling our chiropodist/foot care specialist to gain a concise analysis of your foot mechanics, and decide if you would benefit from wearing custom made diabetic orthotics. Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centres use gait scan technology that will scan your foot to capture its distribution of pressure, map your foot's pressure to determine where there is too much or too little, prints a report which assists our chiropodists/foot care specialists in evaluating your foot function and determining if it is the source of your issue. From there we can decide the necessity for orthotic therapy, and the data is forwarded securely to a laboratory where your custom made diabetic orthotics are manufactured specifically for your feet.
Diabetes can be extremely dangerous to your feet, so take precautions by following preventative measures with the help of your chiropodist/foot care specialist at Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre. Prevention is always the best defense against diabetic foot problems, and is key to eliminating pain and discomfort, and saving your feet!