Diabetic foot care
Diabetes is a debilitating and sometimes fatal disease in which the body cannot produce insulin, or cannot properly use the insulin it produces. Insulin is necessary for controlling the amount of blood sugar in the body. Diabetes causes high blood sugar levels that damage the bodies organs, tissues, blood vessels, immune system and nerves.
Diabetes-related health problems include issues with the legs, ankles, feet and toes, including:
- scrapes, cuts, bruises or blisters or that are slow to heal
- frequent or recurring infections
- numbness, burning or tingling sensation (diabetic peripheral neuropathy)
- inability to feel pain or temperature changes
- impairment of oil production and sweat secretion
- skin breakdown
- muscle weakness
- difficulty balancing or walking
- development of sore
These problems can lead to more serious health complications like peripheral vascular disease, gangrene, ischemia (artery blockage) or amputation of the toes, foot or leg. When a diabetic experiences decreased sensation in the feet, they are at extremely high risk of developing the above listed adverse health problems. It is very important to prevent foot problems before they occur, by:
- eating a healthy diet & abstaining from smoking or consuming alcohol
- visiting with your chiropodist/foot care specialist regularly for feet & ankle checkups
- checking your feet daily with a mirror for irritations and lesions
- ensuring that you are custom fitted for orthotics if necessary
- ensuring that you are wearing proper fitting shoes
- ensuring that no extraneous trauma occurs to the feet or legs
- treating poor blood circulation
Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre also offers custom diabetic orthotics; we use state-of-the-art gait scan technology to assess and analyze your diabetic feet. The results of the analysis, combined with the knowledge and expertise of our chiropodist/foot care specialist, permits us to successfully detect abnormal foot function which may be affecting your feet and other areas of your body. Gait scan technology records your timing sequences as you walk or run, enabling our chiropodist/foot care specialist to gain a concise analysis of your foot mechanics, and decide if you would benefit from wearing custom made diabetic orthotics.
Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre's gait scan technology will scan your foot to capture its distribution of pressure, map your foot's pressure to determine where there is too much or too little, prints a report which assists our chiropodist/foot care specialist in evaluating your foot function and determining if it is the source of your issue. From there we can decide the necessity for orthotic therapy, and the data is forwarded securely to a laboratory where your custom made diabetic orthotics are manufactured specifically for your feet. Diabetes can be extremely dangerous to you and your feet, so take precautions by following preventative measures with the help of your chiropodist/foot care specialist at Active Foot Care Clinic and Orthotic Centre. Prevention is always the best defense against diabetic foot problems, and is the key to eliminating pain and saving your feet!